Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
College Resources for Seniors aims to provide an in-depth guide to college search, career, and financial aid.
This section provides information on:
- The financial benefits of attending college
- The adventure of attending college
- The personal reasons for attending college
- A few myths about college
- Attending college and its relationship to job satisfaction
College increases job satisfaction because:
- College Education opens countless opportunities in the job market
- College degree allows YOU to choose a career field than a random career choosing you
- If you enjoy the career, most likely you will have job satisfaction because you love the job
- College opens the door to high earnings, which also leads to job satisfaction
- GO AHEAD. MAKE THE SMART DECISION AND INVEST IN YOU!
According to the U.S. Census Bureau:
- There is a strong correlation between higher education and lifelong work earnings
- Higher education has more influence over earnings than factors such as race, gender, and ethnicity
- A bachelor's degree will yield $1 million than no college education on average
Want more information? U.S. Census Bureau and the National Center for Educational Statistics are a great resource:
College will allow you to expand yourself and reach your full potential:
- Leave your comfort zone and explore the college
- Meet new faces, diverse backgrounds and different perspectives
- Cultivate strong friendships, and find your niche
The Common Application, an undergraduate college application system, provides a great visualization here between the mind of a high school graduate versus a college graduate:
What is your purpose in life?
- Not sure what your future holds? College will demonstrate that there is a place for everyone
- Cultivate your skills and expand your knowledge
- Make a difference in the world
- Find a mentor; be a mentor
- Learn from student-leaders: Learn how they inspire, contribute to the society and become an exceptional citizen
College is FUN:
- Explore different majors before you decide on a career permanently
- Want to major in psychology? Take a few courses and you will quickly find out if it is your passion. Don't like it? Time to try a different major until you find your passion!
- A course that you took on a urge could ignite your interest and lead you to your passion and a career you could have never expected.
- Want more information? Check out the Why Go to College? Handout authored by the State of Tennessee.